Can you put aluminum foil in an air fryer?
The trendy generation is navigating towards health-conscious eating. Exploring the people’s demands, air fryers are introduced into the market.
Now that these handy machines are used on many countertops, the public is exploring the tips and tricks for using the air fryer. One among them is the usage of aluminum foil. Many new air fryer zealots are wondering whether to use aluminum foil in an air fryer or not.
This answer is going to appease you! You can use aluminum foil in an air fryer. But, it would help if you went through some of the do’s and don’ts while using it.
Can you put aluminum foil in an air fryer?
Here, we have listed out some important observations which would help you for a better perception.
- Ensure that small aluminum foil is placed on the bottom of the basket before using it.
- Check the manual given with your air fryer. While most models don’t have any particular note on them, any different model may have advice.
- Keep it small. Prevent covering the whole basket.
- Tightly cover food with foil in your air fryer.
- Make sure foil doesn’t block the circulation of the hot air.
- Do not place the aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan where oil and food particles fall.
- Don’t let the foil stick to the edges of the frying basket, touching the heating elements.
- Never leave the aluminum foil in the basket without weight, as it may get sucked into the heating unit.
- Never use aluminum foil for cooking acidic foods as the aluminum may leach into the food.
Check this video:
How safe is it to use aluminum foil in the air fryer?
Though it is safe to cook non-acidic foods using aluminum foil in an air fryer, it is better to choose parchment paper or baking paper as an alternative. When microwave hot air in an air fryer is less desirable, it can not melt aluminum foil.
If you cook acidic foods like tomatoes, tomato juice, fruits, fruit juices, vinegar, the heat from the air fryer reacts with the acid and decomposes the foil leaving specks of particles in the air fryer and food. Cooking acidic foods using aluminum foil can give out a metallic odor. It is better to use air fryer liners while cooking acidic foods.
How to use Aluminum foil safely for cooking in an air fryer?
The most significant benefit of using aluminum foil is that it reduces your cleaning time after cooking. But cooking it the perfect way is vital if you are using aluminum foil.
Consider the following things for careful cooking with Aluminum foil:
The Holes: The working mechanism of the air fryer is rapid hot air circulation. By putting a foil completely covering the basket not only damages the system but also leads to uneven cooking.
So if you wish to use aluminum foil, put some holes in it and use it a little. Ensure proper airflow for even cooking.
The Edges: Place a single layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of the basket without covering the edges.
Bottom: Avoid using the foil paper on the bottom of the air fryer. The air fryer may be designed with heating coils at the bottom. It may also block the airflow if the foil is placed there, resulting in uneven cooking or damage to the Appliance.
Weight: Aluminum foils must be used only for heavyweight foods. If food is not heavy enough, the aluminum foil will blow up the appliance sucking into the accessories.
Types of food:
- Acidic foods, foods high in salt must be avoided. These can leave black specks on your food and in the air fryer. It is because of the reaction of acidic foods with the aluminum foil. When acid reacts with aluminum, the process of decomposition starts. Much aluminum leaches into your food.
- Leafy vegetables may stick to the edges of the air fryer, leaving them unevenly cooked.
- Excessive cheesy foods may mess up while using aluminum foil in the air fryer. The more challenging part of the food remains unevenly cooked, and cheese melts down quickly.
- Uncooked grains and pasta need to be precooked before using aluminum foil in the air fryer.
- Frozen foods and vegetables like broccoli that have weight can be cooked using aluminum foil.
Watch this video for more concerns on how to use aluminum foil in air fryers
Are health risks possible using aluminum foil in the air fryer?
The safety or toxicity is not yet completely known. As Air fryers are recent creations, studies on this particular usage of aluminum foil are not concluded.
Aluminum foil cooking releases some parts of aluminum into the food. Some studies link aluminum ingestion regularly with Alzheimer’s disease. Though the amount of aluminum in our regular diet is low, using aluminum foil can increase the intake. Some researchers discovered excessive intake of aluminum could result in Irritable Bowel Disease(IBD).
It is incredibly safe to use aluminum foils in the air fryers in a proper way. For safer parts, limit the use, opt for better alternatives like parchment paper with holes or baking paper for healthier hassle-free cooking.
Always remember to avoid acidic foods like citrus foods with aluminum foil as they can start decomposing. Enjoy your delicious food without bothering. A little usage can cause no harm or toxicity to your body.